Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry CHRISTmas!!!

God sent His Son to us. God incarnate. Jesus was 100% man and 100% God. Jesus truly was Emmanuel: "God with us." The advent sermons where I have been attending here in Hutch have been based on this passage:

"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us;
And the government will rest on His shoulders;
And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Eternal Father, Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:6 (NASB)

For those, who like me, are fans of Handel's Messiah, this verse immediately brings to mind a particular tune. But, stop......think.....reread those words by the prophet Isaiah. Who was He? Who is He?

Several years ago, while I was in high school youth group, our youth pastor asked us to think about what the best gift we had ever received was. He gave a few minutes to think about it. Then, when he asked us to share what that gift was with the group, I squirmed a bit in my chair (silly thing was too big for me...yes, I am that short), so he looked at me and told me to go first. I simply said, "The best gift I have ever received was forgiveness." Referring to the gift Jesus gave me when He came to earth, lived as a man, taught His disciples, was killed, rose again!, and now is in heaven preparing a place in heaven for all who truly believe in and live for Him.

What was the best gift you ever received? Did you give anything in return? I cannot repay the debt of love I owe, but I have given what I could: my whole self. Even with all my failings, that is exactly what God wants in return.
What hope, joy, peace, and love we can experience from truly knowing Him!!

2 comments:

Benaiah said...

I am so glad that "God is with us"! It gives life meaning as nothing else can! Our God is so good!

Anonymous said...

Not only with us but "Christ in us, the hope of glory"